Translate

Sep 25, 2011

Leibowitz Leak Story in NY Times « Tikun Olam-תיקון עולם: Make the World a Better Place

 


I've kept silent till now about the publication of yesterday's front page story in the NY Times about my collaboration with Shamai Leibowitz in leaking U.S. surveillance of a covert Israeli campaign to drum up hostility in this country toward Iran.  I'll have more to say about it by and by.  Right now I'm just trying to absorb what's happened.  But suffice to say it's been quite a whirlwind.  Today alone, I was interviewed by the BBC World Service, AP, Hurriyet, Al Quds, Salon, Jerusalem Post and the Seattle Times.  Though not, curiously enough, by Haaretz.

Haaretz's first Hebrew language report said that Shamai worked for the Defense Department!  It'sheadline predictably focussed on the fact that the U.S. was spying on Israel (shocking!) instead of on the real story, which was that Israel's diplomats were finding out who was naughty and nice to Israel in the U.S. Congress in order to prepare for a possible run-up to a war against Iran.  When you think about the fact that Israel's leading so-called liberal newspaper couldn't be bothered to hear my own perspective on the story, it's well, almost dumbfounding.

The far-right pro-Israel blogosphere is shreying for blood saying I should be prosecuted for obstructing justice.  Even Dan Sieradski, who prides himself on being quite a radical snarkily amplifies the right wingers, saying he hopes I have a good lawyer.  I'll tell you what Dan, you tell me who your lawyer is and then I'll tell you who my lawyer won't be.  And sorry fellas, the government has known for almost two years what I did with the documents.  Not to mention, it would quite something to prosecute a journalist for publishing a leaked document.  If they did it would close down political reporting in this country for quite some time.

My BBC World Service interview on The World Today program with Max Pearson is here (audio).  Thanks to those readers who helped locate it.

UPDATE: Finally, I want to make crystal clear that Shamai Leibowitz has played no role in my current decision to make this matter public.  Until yesterday, I had had no contact with him whatsoever since well before he was indicted.

Tags: 

62 RESPONSES TO "LEIBOWITZ LEAK STORY IN NY TIMES"



+++

Fun stuff to read, tell and watch:

Now FREE to watch all 91 minutes: "Defamation," from Israeli filmmaker Yoav Shamir. LINK: http://tinyurl.com/3rvhdvc

Some of His Best Friends Are Jewish: The Saga of a Holocaust Revisionist By Nathaniel Popper. Link: http://tinyurl.com/3v6m88c

...an Israeli lawyer has filed a class-action lawsuit against former President Jimmy Carter, seeking $5 million in damages because his book "Palestine: Peace Not Apartheid" allegedly defamed Israel. Link: http://tinyurl.com/3pltqg2

"...when you have laws against questioning the Holocaust narrative, you are screaming at the other person to stop thinking!!!" ---Mike Santomauro. *Anthony Lawson's Holocaust Video "were the Germans so stupid"... Link: http://tinyurl.com/44nsrco

An anti-Semite condemns people for being Jews, I am not an anti-Semite.--Mike Santomauro. Link: http://tinyurl.com/42z9p8o

Start reading DEBATING THE HOLOCAUST in under a minute: http://tinyurl.com/3f8h874

Peace.

Mike Santomauro
Editorial Director
Call anytime: 917-974-6367

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments: